Friday, March 1, 2013

Book Review


CD5

So  a couple months back somebody on 3TC recommended the book “What he can expect when she’s not expecting” as a good book for husbands to read when the couple is dealing with IF. I asked DH if I should get it for him and he said “yes” and so I ordered the book from Amazon.com and it was pretty cheap if I remember correctly.

The book came and I showed DH and put it next to his night stand.  Maybe 3-4 weeks went by and he didn’t read it so I picked it up and started to read it.  He asked me why I was reading it and I kind of said “well somebody should” (as you can see I was kind of annoyed he wasn’t reading it).  Every night I would read a couple of pages.  The book was really good – written by the husband of a woman who went through 10 (yes 10!) IVF cycles and they finally had twins through a gestational surrogate.  The husband co-authors the book with a doctor. 

The book doesn’t get too technical but explains the testing, procedures, etc in terms that a non-doctor can understand.  The book has some humor in it – one section is called “The Room” and talks about the sperm sample collection room at the RE.  I thought it was an easy read and could help out DH’s who may not fully understand what us women have to go through in this process.

I finished the book a couple of nights ago and asked DH when he would read it.  He said he “wasn’t really into reading books” and I told him it was important to me.  He kind of hemmed and hawed and then I pulled out the “if I have to take drugs, give myself shots, go get bloodwork done, get ultrasounds and be artificially inseminated almost every month, then you can read this damn book” card and he started reading the book the next night :)  I had to push him a bit, but honestly I think he will enjoy it once he gets into it.

 


2 comments:

  1. I don't have much to say in regards to this post but just wanted to say thanks for being so honest in your blog. I'm happy I found it. I'm REALLY pulling for you and your hubby. GL with IUI#6!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colleen! I try to be as honest as possible, and it sort of helps that nobody I know in real life reads my blog!

      Good luck in your journey too!

      Delete