Friday, May 31, 2013

Told My Boss!

So I wouldn't say that I was nervous about telling my boss, but the fact that both myself and one of the women I manager are pregnant and due the same week and will be out for our busiest time of year did cause me some concern.  

My boss works in a different office from me and I had to go to his location to train with somebody else so I scheduled an "in person 1:1" with him.  We ended up having lunch together and he was asking me about summer travel plans so I said "my husband and I have booked a trip to Ireland in August...we have always wanted to go and it will be a good chance to get away before the baby comes"  and that pretty much segued into the whole talk.  

He wasn't too shocked, or at least if he was he hid it well.  There are a lot of women on his team so he said in the back of his mind he sort of has a running  list of anyone who could need to go on maternity leave during the year. 

The best part about the talk was that he asked me about my plans after having the baby (if I knew).  He wanted to know 1) if i was planning on coming back and 2) what type of schedule I was looking at.  I told him I would like to come back on a reduced hours schedule and he was totally fine with it. He said another woman on his team is coming back from leave in a few weeks and she will be working 3 days a week, which is exactly what I want to do.  My mom has said she will watch our baby for 3 days a week so this couldn't be better.  One of the reasons I have stayed with my job for so long and not looked around is 1) the great health benefits and 2) the work flexibility.  They are very open to working from home or flexible schedule, etc.  

The whole talk allowed me to relax a bit and know that I won't have to either work full time with a little one or look for a new gig.  I am so thankful that things should be working out. 

3 comments:

  1. That is so fantastic! It sounds like things will work out perfectly for you. Yay :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so wonderful!! It sounds like everything is working out perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you snuck that one in the conversation! Smooth ;) I'm so happy you'll be able to come back to a schedule that works great for you!

    ReplyDelete