Sunday, November 10, 2013

Updates and IUGR

Before I get to this week's bump picture I wanted to do a post to update "my readers" in what has been going on this past week.  

I have pretty much "measured small" from the outside since they started measuring me with that handy tape measure thing.  I chalked this up to 1) my due date being off by a week 2) my husband and I not being very tall/big people so we would probably have a smaller baby and 3) I haven't gained too much weight over this pregnancy.  

My OB had me go for a couple of ultrasounds and the baby was measuring in the 30th percentile, so the doctors said "ok great she looks good."

Fast forward to this past week's OB appointment.  They measured me from the outside and found that my belly hadn't grown at all from the appointment 2 weeks ago so they had me do a non stress test to tracker Lucky's heart rate and movement.  They said all of that looked good, but they wanted me to get an ultrasound from an MFM (Maternal Fetal Medicine) doctor to see what they said. 

This past tuesday I had that ultrasound and the MFM doctor said baby was measuring below the 10th percentile.  This was pretty surprising to me because I had already had a couple of ultrasounds where they said she was in the 30th percentile, so what is going on in there?  Well unfortunately they can't figure that out because the cord blood flow is good, the amniotic fluids look good, basically everything looks good except for her weight - which they estimated to be at 4lbs 11oz.  

So my OB and MFM doctor decided they want to monitor me and Lucky pretty closely so now I go for NST's every Friday and ultrasounds every Tuesday.  They want to make sure all her "scores" stay high and that she is growing.  They said if her scores stay good, but her growth doesn't pick up then they will probably induce me at 39 weeks.   If any of the scores go downhill they will probably induce earlier.  And if the scores are good and her growth picks up then they will let her stay in. 

So right now I am just hoping she grows a bit more so she can keep baking for a few more weeks.  I just wish I knew why she isn't growing as much as they would like her to.  I always figured I would go a little beyond my due date, so I am surprised at the idea of her needing to come out earlier because of not growing as much inside of me as the doctors would like. I have to bring the overnight bag with me to all my appointments now in case anything with Lucky changes and they need to induce me or take her out quickly.  

Fingers crossed that she gets to stay inside until she is ready!  They now consider me "IUGR" Intra Uterine Growth Restricted because of Lucky's size

1 comment:

  1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that Lucky keeps growing in there and you don't have to be induced early!

    ReplyDelete