Monday, November 25, 2013

39 Week Update **This will be the last update**

So this will be the last update because I am being induced tomorrow!  At my OB appointment on Friday the doctor said that while Lucky's movement and heart rate looked good, she still measured under the 10th percentile of weight at my ultrasound on Tuesday, so she wanted to induce me once I was past 39 weeks. 

Since my OB is on call on Tuesday, tomorrow is the day! When my OB told me they were going to induce me I was a bit disappointed because I really wanted the chance to go into labor on my own.  But once she explained that this way is better for the baby, that was it - whatever is best for the baby is what we will do!  She checked me and said that my cervix is closed.  I was hoping maybe I started to dilate at least a little on my own, but no such luck.  I am thinking it may be a long induction since I am not dilated and the baby hasn't dropped yet.  It is a little weird knowing ahead of time when you will go to the hospital to have your baby instead of waiting for labor to start, but I guess since I am a planner that this way is good too.  

I was hoping to have a few more days of not working before giving birth, but at least this way I will get to spend more of my maternity leave with her rather than waiting for her to come out. I am a little nervous about her being small, but at least the ultrasound last week showed she was over 5lbs already, so even though that is small, it is still a good size.  And hopefully she has gained even more weight over this past week. 

So Brian and I have told our siblings and parents about the induction and I called my cousin because she had an induction with her baby and I wanted to ask her some questions about it.  Other than that we are keeping it mum until the baby is here.  I guess we don't like the idea of a lot of people knowing that we are heading into the hospital for the induction - it seems like a lot of pressure already, and we don't want a lot of people wondering how things are going throughout the day - better to just let them know when it is all done! Plus I have some family members who are serial Facebook posters, and what I REALLY don't want is them posting something on Facebook about the induction, or waiting for Lucky to be born or anything like that! 

Brian's parents will drive up from PA on Tuesday and stay at a hotel room near the hospital. Hopefully the baby is born on Tuesday at some point and they can come see her then, and then stop by again on Wednesday before they head home for Thanksgiving.  

Brian and I spent some time getting things ready this weekend - we bought some dinners that can be reheated and froze them and he did another leave pick up in the yard.  On Saturday night we went out to a nice dinner in Boston and then yesterday we went to see the Hunger Games movie (which was awesome by the way).  I was very glad we got a chance to get these two things in before the baby comes! I am spending today do some other errands, etc.
 
Ok so that was pretty much big news!  Now on to the picture!
 
How Far Along: 39 Weeks
Total Weight Gain: 18 lbs overall based on my OB appointment on Friday.  Which is exactly how much my mom gained with my older brother - so maybe not gaining all that much is genetic for us given we aren't very big people to begin with.
Maternity Clothes: Yes. I am wondering how long I will be in them after I deliver.  I am sort of sad to have to go back to zippers eventually!  Stretchy pants are so comfortable!
 Stretch Marks: Nope. I have heard some women get them on their breasts once the milk comes in, so I will be on the look out for stretch marks there.
Sleep: The last two nights have been awesome, surprisingly!  Friday night I barely slept because of the news of the induction, but for some reason I have been able to sleep without getting up to pee or go down to watch tv/eat fruit loops for the past 2 nights.  I really hope tonight is the same, because I could sure use the rest before the induction!
 Best Moment This Week: Finding out that Lucky will be here this week!  It feels incredibly surreal.  Brian and I were eating dinner in our dining room last night and he said " next week there will be a baby with us" crazy to think about.
 Miss Anything: Not really.  Although I am starting to think about some of the things I can do again once she is here - like have a full glass of wine and put on my shoes/socks without groaning!
Movement: She is still kicking away in there!  I have been more nervous lately when I sit still and don't immediately feel her kick, I guess it is because we are so close now that I am getting nervous about something happening to her right at the end.  Luckily she always manages to give me some good movement before I freak out too much.
 Anything Making You Queasy or Sick: Nope.
Cravings: Nothing really - not very hungry at this point.  It looks like we are going to be in the hospital on Thanksgiving (or best case scenario getting out that day), but my sister in law promised to get us some turkey dinner, so even if we have it in the hospital with our new baby, it will sure be a Thanksgiving to remember!
Gender: GIRL! 
Labor Signs: No.  I was hoping there would be something at this point.  I was a little crampy last night but today, nothing. 
Symptoms: Some cramps last night.  Itchy belly.  At the OB on Friday my feet looked slightly swollen
Belly Button In or Out: Out. 
Wedding Rings On or Off: On, but tighter. 
Feeling: I think I pretty much covered this above, but overall I would say I am a ball of emotions: excited, nervous, a bit scared, and just don't know what to expect!
Exercise:  We took Winnie for a walk in the woods yesterday and it felt good to be out on a long walk. 
Looking Forward To: Meeting Lucky over the next few days!!

 Next Appointment: November 26th

3 comments:

  1. This is so exciting!!! Prayers for a smooth delivery of baby girl, can't to wait to see her :) Best of luck to you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so so excited for you. I hope everything is nice and smooth. Oh my goodness - TOMORROW!! So exciting! Wishing you the best of luck!!! I cannot wait for your next update :-) I will be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete